Sunday 21 March 2010

Moto S.A. DAY 26. Cape Town. Final Day.

25 February 2010
This is the last S.A. Ride report. Moorreesburg, where I had stayed at the invitation of an old friend, is only 100 km from Cape Town. The 'adventure' is nearly over. I stopped at Swartland Service Station, on the N7, briefly. Then it was the final leg back to Motorrad Rentals at BMW Pavilion after more than 7,100 km so far. Seeing Table Mountain from the N7 on my final approach to Cape Town caused me mixed feelings. It was good to have completed the ride, but bad that this was the last day.

My flight to London was not until the evening. There was plenty of time for a ride around the city.

Cape Town will always be special for me.

This was taken from Beach Road at Green Point.......

....... and this is at Surrey Place off Beach Road. WAKAME restaurant is here.

There was some cloud on the mountain - normal - but at sea level it was a beautiful day.

This is the new work-in-progress football stadium. The football World Cup 2010 will be very interesting.


I have procrastinated long enough. The Victoria & Alfred Waterfront is very close to BMW Pavilion. I called in at the V & A for one last time. This little Honda with a young couple on board pulled up next to me.

I've heard of a Honda Africa Twin but never a Honda Africa Single!
I said, "Hello," to the young couple. "Have you come far?"
"From England!" was the reply.
My easy 7,210 km tarmac (mainly) ride around South Africa on a big BMW1200GSA suddenly seemed very straight forward and un-noteworthy. Time to hand the bike back to Danie at BMW Motorrad.

Please Note: All postings are accessible via Blog Archive and are listed by DATE and by TITLE. By opening all years and all months ALL POSTING TITLES WILL BE DISPLAYED.

Most of the images may be enlarged by clicking on them.

Post a 'Comment' - you WILL get a response.

4 comments:

cape town accommodation said...

rich in culture cape town is very famous and perfect travel option for your honeymoon and family vocation.
Thanks

cape town accommodation

Cape Town Accommodation says:
“Interesting post, we shall be following your blog more closely in future! Best Wishes from Cape Town ”

jetadventure said...

Thank you for your good wishes. Motorcycling in South Africa is a rewarding experience.
jet

Majuba said...

Hi Jet

That does it! I'm going "home"

Born and raised in KZN SA I have been in the UK for the last 23 years, 15 of which were spent commuting into London.

I grew up in a dorp - Richmond Natal - like the ones you travelled through and although sleepy, quiet and dead had a great time.

I think the wheel has turned full circle and it is time to head South and the quiet country life again.

Thanks for your blog.
It was great to journey with you and read your complimentary comments on the food, B&Bs and scenery.

Regards

Majuba

PS
My Mom came from Zastron and I agree - Clarens and the Golden Gate park take some beating. When you say OFS most people think of the semi-Karoo west of Bloem, but the eastern side near the Malutis and Drakensberg is world class.

jetadventure said...

Majuba, Thanks for your feedback.
There were so many 'dorps' that I travelled through and thought 'I could live here.'
South Africa is a lovely country, but like here, it badly needs good governance.
I was, however, very impressed by two things this time round - 2011: 1.) how busy Durban harbour is and 2.) the huge road-repair programme.
All the best.
j